Sunday 3 March 2024

Communication Builds the Relationship

 Building a friendship takes time, patience and good communication,  especially listening.

This morning I wanted to spend time with Flint before we went to go and celebrate my gorgeous granddaughter's 3rd birthday. I found him up in the back corner talking with a cow over the fence in the next paddock. The cow saw me coming and wandered away while Flint waited for me to approach. Finally, he took the last few remaining steps, nuzzled into me and lowered his head so I could put the headstall on him - the pink one which means 'serious work'.

We walked along the back fence line and some of the cows looked up from their grazing and lazing in the sunshine. Flint hesitated and instead of rushing him, I stopped and looked to see what he could see. I gave him a pat and we walked on. As we began the downward slope towards the dam, he stopped again.

He looked regal standing there with the blue skies and sunshine surrounding him. I chose to walk him around rather than go straight towards the dam and that worked.

When we got to the ball, I picked it up and rolled it in front of him and he touched it with his nose. We went to the smaller paddock, stopping for a selfie along the way and played with the ball a bit more. Every time he touched it, I praised him and I even rolled it a few times in front of him and he didn't flinch. We did this for some time and then I took the halter off him, gave him a bit more patting and lovin' and within moments he'd gone back to join his bovine friends.

As I reflected on the session, I thought about how well we had done together. When he had stopped, I stopped and waited, reassured and listened. If it appeared there was a problem, I tried to find another way to make it work. I listened when he was expressing hesitation and we had a good time together.

I think it's important to do that with our friends. Go to them when you see them approaching so they know it's mutual. Listen to what the other is saying, wait for them to be 'ready/on the same page' and when a problem arises, find a way forward that works for you both.

Then play ball together - have fun together.



No comments: